- PA CareerLink Columbia/Montour Counties will hold a webinar about workers’ compensation tomorrow afternoon, March 8, from 2-3 p.m. Intended for small business owners and human resources professionals, this hour webinar, presented by the PA Department of Labor & Industry, will detail the process of how workers’ comp claims are made and processed, all in an attempt to make it as painless as possible for employers. To register, contact Donna Eyerly by email.
Staff from MePush recently built the skills into the Google Assistant platform to contact MePush for help directly from the device. Clients in need of MePush’s services can simply say, “Ok Google, talk to MePush” and then the platform asks some key questions like name, phone, business or personal computer, and the type of problem. Afterwards, the device contacts MePush directly and creates a ticket in their customer service system. The lead on the cutting-edge project was Tyler Helwig (above). This new technology makes it easier for MePush to ask the proper questions of clients, and even easier for the client to conveniently contact the company in addition to phone or email.
- The Wilkes Small Business Development Center will hold a First Step Workshop on Wednesday, March 14, at 6 p.m. at its location at 85 South Main St., Wilkes-Barre. Cost for this workshop is $20, and registration can be done online or by calling 570-408-4340. A Wilkes SBDC representative is also available to meet with those interested in starting a business in the Bloomsburg and Columbia County area individually by appointment. Call the same number at the Wilkes SBDC to set up an appointment.
- The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport (AVP) has added two non-stop flights each weekday to Pittsburgh International Airport beginning on April 23. These flights will be in conjunction with Regional Sky, and are now available to be booked. AVP now offers non-stop flights to seven of the largest hubs in the United States, including Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Newark, Philadelphia and now Pittsburgh. For more information, see the flyer, or visit AVP’s website.
- The Bucknell Small Business Development Center will offer a First Step Workshop on Wednesday, April 11, from 1-3 p.m. at Service 1st Federal Credit Union, located at 1985 Montour Blvd. (Rt. 11), Danville. This “pre-business” workshop is intended to assist potential entrepreneurs that are considering starting a business but might not know where to start. Attendees will learn about legal structure, selection a location, licenses and forms, insurance needs, business planning, small business taxes, hiring employees and more. Cost is $25 for each workshop, and those interested can register online or by calling 570-577-1249.
- The local PA CareerLink centers have scheduled their 2018 job fairs. The local one in our area will be held on Wednesday, May 9, from 4-7 p.m. at Columbia-Montour Area Vocational Technical School, located at 5050 Sweppenheiser Dr., Bloomsburg. There will also be job fairs during May just outside of the area at Shikellamy High School in Sunbury on May 2 and at the Selinsgrove VFW in May 30. Later in the year, there will be one at the Best Western in Lewisburg on Sept. 6. The registration links for employers are now open for the three May events. See the flyer for more information as well as registration links.