http://columbiamontourchamber.com/wp-content/uploads/Chamber-logo-small.jpg 0 0 Fred Gaffney http://columbiamontourchamber.com/wp-content/uploads/Chamber-logo-small.jpg Fred Gaffney2018-06-27 08:40:462018-06-27 08:40:46Member News - June 27, 2018
- Community Options, Inc., a provider of residential and employment support to people with disabilities, is seeking individuals interested in serving on a new business advisory committee for Community Options’ Bloomsburg office. Community Options’ mission is to promote the integration of persons with disabilities within the communities in which they reside, enabling them to become viable and contributing neighbors, employees and citizens of the community. The purpose of this committee is to discuss and implement ways to help the organization better integrate into the community and bridge the gap between the community and the individuals it serves. If you may be interested in serving on this committee, or for questions, contact associate executive director David McConaghy at 570-638-6007 or email. The next committee meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday, June 28 at noon at Community Options’ Bloomsburg office, located at 1117 Old Berwick Rd.
- The Bloomsburg Area YMCA will hold a summer open house all day this Friday, June 29, from 5 a.m. – 7 p.m. Staff will be available throughout the day to give tours and share how the Y’s fitness facilities, group aerobics classes and certified wellness coaches can help you achieve the goals that matter to you. From 12-5 p.m., the community is also invited to help make a difference by participating in a blood drive to support the American Red Cross. The Y is also holding a membership special all day Friday: anyone starting a Y membership at the open house will pay no joining fee and start their first month free. For more information, see the event’s Facebook page.
- The Pennsylvania Small Business Development Centers recently announced that Bucknell SBDC business consultant and incubator manager Dennis Hummer has been awarded the organization’s 2018 State Star. Each year, top performers from across the network of America’s SBDC’s are recognized for their excellence. Hummer’s selection is the second in recent years for the Bucknell SBDC, following assistant director Maureen Hauck’s selection in 2015. This Facebook Live video announced the award winners. In addition to his duties at the Bucknell SBDC, Hummer also serves on the board for DRIVE.
- The Bloomsburg Public Library will be holding a “Country Fair” on Saturday, July 14, to help kick off Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble’s production of Charlotte’s Web, and is looking for a large popcorn machine to use for this event. If you or your organization has one available and would be willing to loan it to the Bloomsburg Public Library to use on this date, please contact Lydia Kegler, library director, at 570-784-0883 or email. The library is also looking for carnival type games that could be set up inside the children’s library or possibly outside in the parking lot.
- The Bucknell SBDC will host its annual Celebration of Small Business breakfast, which will also mark a celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Bucknell SBDC, on Monday, July 16, from 8-10 a.m. at the Elaine Langone Center’s Terrace Room on the 2nd floor on the Bucknell campus. Business owners, legislators, economic development partners and startup enthusiasts are invited to join the SBDC for breakfast to recognize the entrepreneurs and leaders of the region. Special presentations will include the U.S. Small Business Association Young Entrepreneur of the Year for Eastern PA, the Product Innovator of the Year and the Charles H. Coder Entrepreneurial Leadership Award, named for the Bucknell SBDC’s founding director. Register online or call 570-577-1249.
- Bloomsburg University will present an exhibition of photos from a soldier who served in the Vietnam War. Titled “Blaine Cooper: Images From a Local Soldier in Vietnam,” the exhibition will take place on Friday, July 27, from 6-8 p.m. in the Gallery at the Greenly Center, located at 50 E. Main St. in downtown Bloomsburg. This event is free and open to the public, and complimentary light refreshments will be provided. Cooper will then be part of a speakers’ panel from 6:30-8 p.m. For more information regarding this event, contact Bob Heckrote, Office of Military and Veterans’ Resources, at 570-389-4696 or email, or graduate assistant Briann Halpin at 570-389-3858 or email.
- Looking to showcase your business to students at Bucknell while also getting some free consulting work? Bucknell is launching a new pre-orientation program, Design-Thinking Leadership (DTL), providing an opportunity for your business to connect with Bucknell’s newest students. Student teams in the DTL program will formulate actionable solutions to real-world problems posed by local business owners. The program, which runs Aug. 10-14, is seeking 4 -5 business owners to speak with students and present a problem or opportunity in their business. During the next two days student teams will conceptualize, research, and refine a solution; and then pitch to the business owner at the end of the program. This is a perfect opportunity to showcase your business, make lasting connections with students, and benefit from fresh perspectives and ideas. If interested in participating in this program as a business owner, submit this Google form, and for questions, contact Bucknell SBDC director Steve Stumbris at 570-577-1249 or email.