Please enter banners and links.
- A representative from the Wilkes University Small Business Development Center will be at the Chamber office at 238 Market St., Bloomsburg, this Friday, Jan. 18, from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. for its monthly small business outreach day. Any current or aspiring small business owner is welcome to stop in and speak to Ray Haden, business consultant with the Wilkes SBDC, for advice and guidance on starting or running a small business. SBDCs provide free, confidential consulting services to current and aspiring small business owners. Anyone interested in meeting with him should contact Ray at 570-408-4340 or email to schedule a time between 10-3 on Jan. 18 to meet.
- The Geisinger Health Foundation recently made a $2,500 charitable gift contribution to Focus Central Pennsylvania, an economic development organization whose mission is to attract and support expansion of capital investment that creates quality career opportunities for the families of a seven-county area in Central Pennsylvania, which includes Columbia and Montour Counties. Focus proactively connects with site location consultants and companies looking to relocate or expand. This gift will support promoting the region for new corporate investment opportunities and creating career opportunities in the Focus Central Pennsylvania region. Geisinger Health invests philanthropic resources into people, programs and services, facilities, education and technologies to help ensure an excellent patient experience for all.
- Jazz vocalist Charenée Wade will bring her classic jazz sound to the Weis Center for the Performing Arts for a free performance on Wednesday, Jan. 23, at 7:30 p.m. in the Weis Center Atrium.
Tickets are not required. Known for expert vocal improvisation and her seriously swinging groove, Wade evokes a classic jazz sound akin to Betty Carter and Sarah Vaughan, two of her musical touchstones. A singer, composer, arranger and educator, Wade is a professor at the Aaron Copland School at Queens College and was just recently appointed to Peabody Institute.
- The St. Olaf Orchestra, featuring Sarah Chang on violin, will perform a free classical music concert on Thursday, Jan. 31, at 7:30 p.m. at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets are not required, and this family-friendly performance is suggest for grades 5 and above.
Named “one of the best college orchestras in the nation” by Time magazine‘s Richard Ostling, the St. Olaf Orchestra is a full symphony orchestra known for its passionate music-making and professional-level performances. Founded in 1906, the ensemble has been heralded as one of the best collegiate orchestras in the country and was named the winner of the 2013 American Prize for Orchestral Performance among colleges and universities.
Recognized as one of the world’s foremost violinists, Sarah Chang has performed with the most esteemed orchestras, conductors and accompanists in an international career spanning more than two decades. While at the Weis Center, they will perform: Samuel Barber’s Overture to “The School for Scandal,” Missy Mazzoli’s These Worlds In Us, and Jean Sibelius’ Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47 featuring Sarah Chang on violin. After intermission, they will perform Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64.
- The Bloomsburg University athletics department will celebrate National Girls & Women in Sports Day on Saturday, Feb. 2 with a couple of opportunities for youth. There will be a free basketball clinic at 10 a.m., followed by a speed and agilities clinic at 10:30 a.m., and an activities fair at 11:15 a.m. There will be free pizza for all participants at noon, followed by free admission to that day’s women’s basketball game at 1 p.m., and a postgame autograph session. This clinic is open to all boys and girls in grades K-8. Register by calling 570-389-3907 or by email. For more information, see the flyer.
- Geisinger HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital recently unveiled its new name and brand as part of its Company’s name change and rebranding initiative. As of Jan. 1, the inpatient rehabilitation hospital is now known as Geisinger Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital. It will continue to provide the same high-quality, post-acute care for patients overcoming a variety of major illnesses and injuries. To commemorate the new name and brand, the hospital will be hosting a open community celebration event on Thursday, Feb. 7, from 3-6 p.m. The event will be held in the hospital dining room, located at 64 Rehab Ln., Danville. Tours and photo booths will be available for event attendees, and hor d’oeuvres will be served. RSVP prior to the event to 510-271-6110 or by email. Birmingham, Ala.-based HealthSouth Corporation launched its new name and brand on Jan. 1, 2018 and has been transitioning its 130 inpatient rehabilitation hospitals and 273 home health and hospice locations serving 36 states and Puerto Rico over the last year, which will continue through 2019. All of the Company’s post-acute care service locations in Pennsylvania will migrate to the Encompass Health name and brand on Jan. 1.
- Beginning the week of Feb. 11 and running through April 4, the United Way of Columbia and Montour County will once again offer free basic tax help to low and moderate-income residents in the community. This program will be held Tuesdays and Wednesday from 2-6 p.m. and Thursdays from 4-8 p.m. at Wesley United Methodist Church, located at 130 W. 3rd St., Bloomsburg (use the rear entrance). No appointments are necessary, only drop-offs and walk-ins will be accepted. For questions, call the United Way at 570-784-3134 or email.
- Knoebels Amusement Resort will hold its annual job fair on Saturday, March 2, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., at the Elysburg Fire Department, located at 1 East Mill St., Elysburg. There are seasonal positions available in games, ride operations, food service, gift shops, grounds crew, security & first aid, admissions, crystal pool, campground, guest services, and more. If you have a particular interest or skill set, Knoebels has a job for you. Visit the Facebook event for more information.