Please enter banners and links.
- United in Recovery, the coalition of organizations and individuals headed up by the United Way of Columbia and Montour County that is working to address the opioid crisis in our community, put out its quarterly newsletter recently. Check it out for updates on what the coalition has been up to.
- McKonly & Asbury, a CPA firm based in Camp Hill, Pa., recently announced the acquisition of Brewer & Company, LLC and the addition of an office in Bloomsburg. Owner of Brewer & Company, Daniel Brewer, along with his dedicated staff have provided tax and business services to the Bloomsburg community for 17 years. The firm is highly regarded throughout Bloomsburg for their expertise in audit, tax compliance, and back-office consulting. Daniel and his staff will continue operating from their office located at 420 West Fifth Street, and the eight employees will become part of McKonly & Asbury team. For McKonly & Asbury, this acquisition provides a geographic presence that will utilize expansion as well as adding talented individuals that will support our firm’s future growth. This talent, when combined with McKonly & Asbury’s resources, offers a unique opportunity to clients and the Bloomsburg community to be associated with a firm with tremendous depth all while maintaining a dedication to providing superior client service.
- AGAPE is in desperate need of warehouse and driver volunteers. Even if you might only be able to help one day per month, that would be of tremendous value to AGAPE as it works to ensure it serves those in need. If interested, or for questions, please contact AGAPE at 570-317-2210 or stop in their office at 19 East 7th St. in Bloomsburg and fill out an application.
- The St. Olaf Orchestra, featuring Sarah Chang on violin, will perform a free classical music concert tomorrow, Thursday, Jan. 31, at 7:30 p.m. at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets are not required, and this family-friendly performance is suggest for grades 5 and above.
Named “one of the best college orchestras in the nation” by Time magazine‘s Richard Ostling, the St. Olaf Orchestra is a full symphony orchestra known for its passionate music-making and professional-level performances. Founded in 1906, the ensemble has been heralded as one of the best collegiate orchestras in the country and was named the winner of the 2013 American Prize for Orchestral Performance among colleges and universities.
Recognized as one of the world’s foremost violinists, Sarah Chang has performed with the most esteemed orchestras, conductors and accompanists in an international career spanning more than two decades. While at the Weis Center, they will perform: Samuel Barber’s Overture to “The School for Scandal,” Missy Mazzoli’s These Worlds In Us, and Jean Sibelius’ Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47 featuring Sarah Chang on violin. After intermission, they will perform Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64.
- The Bloomsburg University athletics department will celebrate National Girls & Women in Sports Day this Saturday, Feb. 2 with a couple of opportunities for youth. There will be a free basketball clinic at 10 a.m., followed by a speed and agilities clinic at 10:30 a.m., and an activities fair at 11:15 a.m. There will be free pizza for all participants at noon, followed by free admission to that day’s women’s basketball game at 1 p.m., and a postgame autograph session. This clinic is open to all boys and girls in grades K-8. Register by calling 570-389-3907 or by email. For more information, see the flyer.
- Geisinger HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital recently unveiled its new name and brand as part of its Company’s name change and rebranding initiative. As of Jan. 1, the inpatient rehabilitation hospital is now known as Geisinger Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital. It will continue to provide the same high-quality, post-acute care for patients overcoming a variety of major illnesses and injuries. To commemorate the new name and brand, the hospital will be hosting a open community celebration event on Thursday, Feb. 7, from 3-6 p.m. The event will be held in the hospital dining room, located at 64 Rehab Ln., Danville. Tours and photo booths will be available for event attendees, and hor d’oeuvres will be served. RSVP prior to the event to 510-271-6110 or by email. Birmingham, Ala.-based HealthSouth Corporation launched its new name and brand on Jan. 1, 2018 and has been transitioning its 130 inpatient rehabilitation hospitals and 273 home health and hospice locations serving 36 states and Puerto Rico over the last year, which will continue through 2019. All of the Company’s post-acute care service locations in Pennsylvania will migrate to the Encompass Health name and brand on Jan. 1.
- The Berwick Elks Lodge 1138 will offer a free breakfast for veterans on Saturday, Feb. 9, from 8-10 a.m. at its location on 117 West 2nd St., Berwick. Scrambled eggs, french toast, bacon, sausage, homefries, juice, coffee and tea are on the menu. All veterans eat free, and all others are just $5.
- Koto visionary Yumi Kurosawa will be joined by world-renowned tabla player Anubrata Chatterjee for a performance that bridges the cultures of Japan and India on Sunday, Feb. 10, at 2 p.m. in the Weis Center Atrium. The performance is free and tickets are not required. The performance illuminates the deep-rooted similarities of their craft while highlighting their affinity and respect for one another as virtuosic performers. Kurosawa and Chatterjee spin mesmerizing musical tales as they enchant the audience and reinforce the powerful idea of music as a means to enhance the collaborative spirit of the global community.
- Beginning the week of Feb. 11 and running through April 4, the United Way of Columbia and Montour County will once again offer free basic tax help to low and moderate-income residents in the community. This program will be held Tuesdays and Wednesday from 2-6 p.m. and Thursdays from 4-8 p.m. at Wesley United Methodist Church, located at 130 W. 3rd St., Bloomsburg (use the rear entrance). No appointments are necessary, only drop-offs and walk-ins will be accepted. For questions, call the United Way at 570-784-3134 or email, and see the flyer for additional information.
- Knoebels Amusement Resort will hold its annual job fair on Saturday, March 2, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., at the Elysburg Fire Department, located at 1 East Mill St., Elysburg. There are seasonal positions available in games, ride operations, food service, gift shops, grounds crew, security & first aid, admissions, crystal pool, campground, guest services, and more. If you have a particular interest or skill set, Knoebels has a job for you. Visit the Facebook event for more information.