- Bloomsburg University’s IT Outreach Webinar Series has a pair of upcoming webinars on IT-related issues scheduled in the coming weeks. On Wednesday, May 1, at 1 p.m., Jim Walker, chief security officer at Syntervision Inc. will present “The Real Cyber Threats a Big OS Vendor Won’t Tell You.” Then, on Wednesday, May 22, at noon, Ronald Fussell, program manager at Zel Technologies, LLC, will present “Software Systems Design Considerations. BU’s IT Outreach Webinar Series engages its local constituents in a purposeful manner about the trending topics in the IT field. Webinars are approximately 30 minutes in length. There is no cost to participate, however participants must register. For more information on these webinars or the series, visit BU’s dedicated website page.
- PA CareerLink Columbia/Montour Counties will host its annual job fair on Thursday, May 2, from 1-5 p.m. at Columbia-Montour Area Vocational-Technical School, located at 5050 Swpeenheiser Dr., Bloomsburg. The entire event is open to both the general public and students. Employers interested in attending as an exhibitor/vendor should register online. For more information, see the flyer.
- The Northern Tier Partners for the Arts, a partner of the Pennsylvania Partners in the Arts, will provide a free workshop on Wednesday, May 15, at the Bloomsburg Public Library, from 2-3 p.m., on grant writing for arts programming. This workshop will educate attendees on grant guidelines, application processes and criteria. For additional information, call 570-268-2787 or email.
- Lightstreet Rd. will be closed and a detour will be in place running through Wednesday, May 15 for construction of the new pedestrian bridge. The Bloomsburg University campus and surrounding local roads will still be accessible, and crews will be working seven days a week to keep the closure and detour as short as possible. The formal detour will go down East Street, U.S. Route 11 and up Central Road.
- BIDA, Luzerne County Community College and the other tenants in the Eagles Building, located at 107 South Market St., Berwick, will host an open house on Wednesday, May 22 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the building. There will be information regarding each of the organizations that have their offices in the building, including the dental clinic and VA Services. There will also be light refreshments and tours of the facility as well as the additional spaces that are currently available in the building. Employers, the general public and anyone interested in seeing available office space are welcome to stop by.
- UGI Utilities, Inc (UGI), provider of natural gas and electric services throughout northeastern U.S. is giving back to the community by investing in regional economic growth with an investment of $3,000 to Focus Central Pennsylvania. A check was presented by UGI representative Don Brominski, Business Development Director to Focus Central Pennsylvania’s Executive Director, Lauren Bryson. Brominski, said “investing in Focus fits in very well with our goal to be involved in the betterment of the communities we service.” Focus Central Pennsylvania is part of a committed team in the region that is driving smart economic growth for communities in Centre, Columbia, Montour, Northumberland, Union, Snyder and Mifflin County communities.
- Service 1st Federal Credit Union held its Annual Meeting on April 17 and honored a number of volunteers and employees for their years of service, as well as announced newly elected board members.
Greg Burke, MD, FACP; Barbara Criswell, and Steven Endress were re-elected; each to 3-year terms on the Service 1st Board of Directors. During the Reorganizational Meeting of Service 1st’s Board of Directors, the following officers were elected to serve for the next 12-month period: Steven Endress, Chairperson; Tracy Shirk, Vice Chairperson; David Cutright, Treasurer; and Deborah Petretich Templeton, R. Ph. MHA, Secretary. Other Service 1st Board members include: Harold Hurst, Kathy Linn, and Lori Wilson.
The evening included a special presentation by Devon Donahue, Member Service Representative at Service 1st’s Montandon Office. Donahue will represent the Northwest Susquehanna Chapter of Credit Unions at the 2019 Credit Union Ambassador Contest being held in May during the Pennsylvania Credit Union Association’s annual conference in Hershey, PA.
Service awards were presented to volunteers and employees. Volunteers honored included Deborah Petretich Templeton, R. Ph. MHA, Secretary, Service 1st Board of Directors, 15 years; Steven Endress, Chairperson, Service 1st Board of Directors, 20 years; and David Cutright, Treasurer, Service 1st Board of Directors, 25 years. Employees honored for 5 years of service: Dedra Celona, Lending Supervisor; Tiffany Elder, FSS Universal Agent; Dawn Gilliland, Assistant Market Manager Wilkes-Barre; George Hunt, Facilities and Maintenance Specialist; and Alison Luzenski, Member Service Specialist. Employees honored for 10 years of services included: Shawn Hays, Financial Service Coordinator/rMSR; Tammy Lytle, Loan Support Specialist; Jay Reed, Chief Information Officer; and Valerie Carper, IS Support & Security Analyst. Employees honored for 15 years of service included: Sharon Carter, Loan Support Specialist; Joanne Cowden, Member Service Representative; Nicole Hoyes, Centralized Lending Coordinator; and Missy Peifer, Vice President Human Resources. Employees honored for 20 years of service included: Scott Temple, Vice President Specialized Lending; and Chad Dietterick, Information Systems Team Lead. Accounting Specialist Sharon Cope-Lee was also honored for 35 years of service. Dedra Celona, Lending Supervisor; Tiffany Elder, FSS Universal Agent; Dawn Gilliland, Assistant Market Manager Wilkes-Barre; George Hunt, Facilities and Maintenance Specialist; and Alison Luzenski, Member Service Specialist